With the Team Science Award The NWO Domain Science wishes to underline the added value of team science in all fields and to highlight inspirational examples. The added value of team science lies in the mutually reinforcing effects of diversity and complementarity of (technical) skills and expertise of individual team members. Good team science promotes the development of talent within the group, whereby leading researchers in the team attract talented new young PIs who can develop quickly and go on to attract even more new talent. The Team Science Award rewards the most inspiring and successful team of researchers from various disciplinary fields, who jointly take on a scientific challenge in which their individual strengths and expertise demonstrably reinforce each other.
Who can submit a nomination?
Anyone can submit a nomination. For the Team Science Award, it is possible to nominate the team that you are yourself a member of.
What could the nominees win?
The Team Science Award is a sum of 10k€ per team. Recipients have ample freedom when it comes to spending this sum, as long as it is used to contribute to the goal for which the award has been presented.
When can nominations be submitted?
The deadline for nominations will close on 15 June 2021, 14:00:00 CE(S)T.
How can nominations be submitted?
The “nomination form” must be used for nominations. The form can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. The nominations must be written in English and must be DORA compliant.
The nomination form contains the following elements:
- A cover page (mandatory) with general information about the nominees and the applicant.
- A motivational letter (mandatory, maximum two pages), in which the applicant explains why the team should win the prize, how this team goes beyond standard collaborations and how the assessment criteria stated in Call for Nominations apply to the team.
- Supporting documentation (optional, maximum five pages), such as, for example, a short narrative CV of the nominated candidates and any support letters from third parties. A short description of the narrative CV can be found on the following web page.
See the brochure for more information.
The Team Science Award underlines the demonstrable added value of diversity and the complementarity of (technical) skills and expertise of individual team members with respect to innovative research and talent development in the Science domain. Nominated teams are therefore assessed on the following requirements:
Composition and collaboration of the team
- Teams are characterized by diversity, interdisciplinarity and the complementarity of their (technical) skills and expertise. Diversity covers seniority, disciplines and institutions;
- Teams focus demonstrably on talent development;
- It is an added value when teams have made agreements regarding roles and tasks, the communication structure, the infrastructure for data traffic and storage and, if applicable, the intellectual property and conflicts of interest.
- Teams have defined their scientific challenge clearly, and there is a clear common goal;
- Teams have taken on a scientific challenge to which cooperation between individual team members brings demonstrable added value, whereby the team as a whole is more than simply the sum of its parts. This is also reflected by the output of the team, that is representative for their goal. This output for instance includes scientific output such as manuscripts, organized workshops and/or teaching material, but is not limited to these examples. Entries of this output should not contain impact factors, H-indexes or total number of citations.
The prize relates to scientific research in a general sense; the subject of the research is not one of the criteria applied.
The nominations are assessed in relation to the criteria by a committee. The Board of NWO Domain Science will make the decision regarding the winners. More details are given in the brochure.
To better reflect the official (dutch language) guidelines and to avoid misunderstanding the english translation of the brochure has been updated.