NWO Spinoza Prize
The NWO Spinoza Prize is a personal award for top researchers with international reputations. NWO requests selected persons to nominate candidates for this prize. A maximum of four prizes are awarded annually. The laureates each receive 2.5 million euro to spend on research.
An NWO Spinoza Prize is an honorary award for what the winners have achieved in their scientific career and an encouragement to continue doing excellent research. In essence the prize works as an impulse for scientific research in the Netherlands.
Who can apply
Nomination can only take place at the invitation of NWO. Candidates themselves are not allowed to submit an application. Each year NWO enables the following persons to nominate a maximum of two candidates:
- The rectors of universities
- The chairmen of the Humanities and Science Divisions of the Royal Netherlands Academy
- The chairmen of the advisory councils of the Royal Netherlands Academy
- The president of the Netherlands Academy of Technology and Innovation
- The chair of the Dutch Network of Women Professors
- The chairs of the NWO Division Boards and the WOTRO foundation
The candidates should hold a permanent position at a Dutch research institute and they must have ample time to continue doing top level research. The nominations including annexes should be written in English.
What can be applied for
The prize amounts to 2.5 million euro per laureate. This amount may be spent (up to a certain point) at the discretion of the recipient. In the financial plan the recipient may include costs of staff, materials, investments, travel expenses and accommodation costs, visits by foreign researchers, etc.
When can be applied
NWO sends the persons who may nominate candidates a notification of the deadline.
The evaluation and selection of the candidates takes place on the basis of past performance and according to the following criteria:
- Internationally acknowledged top quality
- Power of attraction to young researchers
- Knowledge exchange and impact (including outreach activities)
Furthermore, it should be evident that the NWO Spinoza Prize will advance and enhance the research by the candidate.
The Governing Board of NWO decides to whom the prizes will be awarded at the advice of the Spinoza selection committee. The nomination procedure is strictly confidential; nominated candidates are not to be informed.
NWO Spinoza Prize | call for proposals PDF, 218 KB
Temporarily closed for application
1 November 2016 14:00
10 million euros per year