Innovative eScience Technologies for 'Big Science' (eTEC-BIG)

The Netherlands eScience Center (NLeSC) and SURFsara invite researchers to submit a research proposal for funding and support for research and development of innovative eScience technologies and software, associated with big data handling, big data analytics and related computational methods in the so-called 'Big Science' research areas. Applicants can be technology-oriented researchers from 'Big Science' research areas; or domain-oriented researchers from ICT sciences (i.e. technical disciplines, such as data sciences or computer sciences).

Purpose

This call for proposals aims to support research and development of innovative eScience technologies and software associated with big data handling, big data analytics and related computational methods, driven by a direct demand from any research area that can be identified broadly by the term 'Big Science'.

A competitive proposal aims to deliver prototype eScience instruments (e.g. in the form of compute kernels, software libraries, interfaces, algorithms, methods), and will help establish or strengthen research software infrastructures, scientific workflows or service infrastructure, with the aim of enhancing and accelerating breakthroughs in the selected Big Science research area. Each project must focus on one of the 'Technological Research Directions' defined in the call for proposals.

Who can apply

Proposals can be submitted by researchers from any Dutch university or research institute affiliated with NWO or KNAW.

Further requirements:

The PI must:

  • have a PhD;
  • hold a contract for at least the duration of the requested project (or provide a letter of intent signed by the director or dean of the PI’'s institute indicating that the PI's employment will be guaranteed for at least the duration of the requested project).

Co-authors of the proposal are encouraged to be part of the research team and to serve as co-applicants of the proposal. This also includes researchers (postdocs) for whom funding is being requested. It is encouraged to have links with business partners to enlarge the potential for valorization of the project. As such, it is possible for co-applicants to be employed by a non-academic partner.

What to apply for

A project grant may be requested for a maximum total in cash budget of 170K Euro, a minimum in-kind budget of 1.3 PYR (person year) from the eScience Center and a maximum in-kind budget of 1.0 PYR from SURFsara. The project duration must be between 18 and 36 months.

The available in cash budget is primarily intended to cover expenses for local research personnel. Part of the in cash budget, however, may also be reserved for additional resources and expenditures.

Typically (but not exclusively), the project budget will be as follows:

  1. Postdoc position for the duration of 2 years.The cost associated with this position includes an individual bench fee of up to 5K Euro contribution to travelling expenses, or other approved expenditure.
  2. A maximum of 15K Euro for project-related equipment and software, Open Access publication, software, and (non-eScience Center / SURFsara personnel) travel expenses.
    The costs for equipment and software must equal or exceed 5K Euro. Equipment and software with a purchase price of less than 5K Euro is deemed part of the standard infrastructure of the local institute and is therefore ineligible for funding. Travel expenses must be incurred by the project team members, with a maximum of 10K Euro. The necessity of travel, equipment and software in support of the project must be justified.

    The total of 1 + 2 may not exceed 170K Euro.
  3. A minimum of 1.3 PYR (person year) in terms of support provided by personnel employed by the eScience Center.
    Of the total requested PYR, 85% covers all activities performed directly on behalf of the project by one or more eScience Research Engineers, and by the assigned eScience Coordinator who oversees the project at the eScience Center. The remaining 15% comprises activities to the benefit of academic research in general (incl. internal communication, knowledge transfer, and training). In case more than 1.3 PYR is requested, the budget for 1) + 2) is lowered by 10K Euro per 0.1 PYR.
  4. A maximum of 1.0 PYR in terms of support provided by personnel employed by SURFsara.
    Of the total requested PYR, 95% covers all activities performed directly on behalf of the project by one or more Technology & e-Infrastructure Experts. The remaining 5% comprises activities to the benefit of academic research in general (incl. internal communication, knowledge transfer, and training).

Distribution of the in-kind contribution over the project period will be determined together with the eScience Center and SURFsara at the start of the project.

When to apply

  • Deadline submission of pre-proposals: Thursday May 9, 2019, 14:00 CET
  • Deadline submission of full proposals: Thursday August 29, 2019, 14:00 CET

Submission of a full proposal is only possible after participation in the pre-proposal round.

Assessment

Criteria

Pre-proposals and full proposals will be assessed on the following four criteria:

  • Scientific quality
  • Scientific novelty and impact
  • eScience and technology state-of-the-art
  • Lateral impact, re-use and sustainability

In the overall assessment of the (pre-)proposal, all four criteria will be weighted as 25% of the total score.

Procedure

A first evaluation of all submitted pre-proposals is carried out by eScience experts and technology leads of the eScience Center and SURFsara. This evaluation only covers the eScience and technology criterium. The results of this evaluation are handed to the independent assessment committee. The assessment committee will assess the pre-proposals based on the four assesment criteria mentioned above, and advises the Boards of NLeSC and SURFsara on the ranking of the pre-proposals.The Boards of NLeSC and SURFsara will recommend the highest scoring PI's to submit a full proposal.

Full proposals will be assessed by external referees. Applicants will have the opportunity to respond to the referee reports in a rebuttal. The assessment committee will prioritize the proposals based on the reports of the external referees and the rebuttal. Applications are assessed within their own discipline area. The assessment committee will advise the Boards of NLeSC and SURFsara on the prioritization. The Boards of NLeSC and SURFsara are responsible for the final granting decision. 

More information

This call is processed by NWO for the Netherlands eScience Center (NLeSC) and SURFsara. The Boards of NLeSC and SURFsara decide about granting and rejection, and all grants will be awarded by NLeSC and SURFsara.

For more information, please visit:

Or contact:

  • Dr. Frank Seinstra (NLeSC): dtec-call@esciencecenter.nl or 020 – 460 4770
  • Dr. Axel Berg (SURFsara): axel.berg@surfsara.nl or 020 – 800 1300
  • Dr. Barbara van der Sar (NWO): e-science@nwo.nl or 070 – 349 4602 

Details

Status

Open for preliminary proposals

Deadline

9 May 2019 14:00

Grant type

Individual

Budget

510K Euro in cash funding, 3.9 PYR (person year) eScience Center in kind funding and 3.0 PYR SURFsara in kind funding

Science area

Science Netherlands e-Science Center (NLeSC)

Objective

Research (2019-2022)

Partners

Netherlands eScience Center (NLeSC), SURFsara

Contact

Dr. Barbara van der Sar-Reumer +31 (0)70 3494602 e-science@nwo.nl