The aim of this funding instrument is to stimulate the Open Access publication of academic books that result from NWO funding by providing funds for the payment of Book Processing Charges. Open access means your book can be read, shared and cited digitally without readers having to buy it. Open access thus increases the chances of your work being widely read and having an impact. Open access publishing does not prevent a possible simultaneous publication of the printed book.
Who can apply
Applications for the Open Access book publication fund can only be submitted by project leaders or co-applicants of awarded NWO research projects.
What to apply for
Per research project, a maximum of € 10,000 is available for the Open Access publication of a peer-reviewed academic book that is the result of a research project funded by NWO and published by an academic publisher. Following Crossick (2015), NWO defines an academic book or monograph as: a long-form academic work or book on a single research topic, typically written by one or sometimes two authors. This includes (peer-reviewed) edited collections as well as critical editions.
Excluded from this instrument are:
- Article Processing Charges for journal articles: these costs can be included in the grant application of the research project (note: NWO only reimburses APCs for full Open Access journals);
- Book chapters;
- Conference proceedings;
When to apply
It is possible to submit an application up to 5 years after the completion of the project. Applications may be submitted at any time. There are no deadlines. Applications can be submitted as soon as there is a publishing contract between the author(s) and the publisher, the manuscript has passed the peer-review process and the manuscript is ready to be put into production by the publisher.
Applications for books that have already been published will not be accepted.
Applications will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- The publication concerns an academic book, monograph or collected volume which is demonstrably the result of a research project funded by NWO that ended no longer than five years from the time of submission (to the Open Book Fund application)
- The publication has been subjected to a full, independent, external peer-review process and the manuscript is unconditionally accepted by the publisher.
- The publication mentions the support for research by NWO.
- The publication will be published under a Creative Commons license.
- The publication will be provided with a Digital Object Identifier (DOI).
- The requested budget will not exceed € 10,000 (including Dutch VAT, if applicable) per project.
Applications are assessed by the NWO Office on the basis of the criteria set out above. Applications within this programme are not in competition with each other, and NWO intends to honour all applications that meet the conditions and criteria as long as the annual budget is sufficient.
Applications may be submitted exclusively via the ISAAC online application system. Applications not submitted via ISAAC will not be considered. Applicants are required to submit their applications via their personal ISAAC account. Applicants who do not have an ISAAC account should create an account at least one day before submitting the application.
Fill in forms
- Download the application form from the electronic application system ISAAC or from the NWO website (at the foot of the grant page for this programme).
- Complete the application form (co-signed by the publisher).
- Add the mandatory attachments:
- A copy of the signed publishing contract (specifying the publication fee).
- The table of contents and summary of the book.
- Save the application form and the attachments as a single pdf file and upload it in ISAAC
Downloads for your application
- Do you already have an ISAAC account?
- Have you completed the application form (co-signed by the publisher) and saved it as a pdf?
- Have you included th signed publishing contract?
- Have you drawn up the table of contents and summary of the book?