Vidi is a funding instrument in the NWO Talent Programme. It allows researchers who have already spent several years doing postdoctoral research to develop their own innovative line of research, and to appoint one or more researchers for this.
Who can apply
What to apply for
The maximum grant is 800.000 euros.
When to apply
A funding round is held every year. The deadline for submitting applications in the 2021 round is 2 November, 14:00 hours (Central European Time).
When you submit your application to ISAAC /mijn.zonmw.nl need to enter several additional details online. We strongly advise you to start applying at least a day before the deadline. Applications that are submitted after the deadline will not be included in the procedure.
All Vidi applications are assessed in one national competition.
There is a single submission point for the Science domain. Applications from the Earth Sciences, Astronomy, Chemistry, Computer Science, Life Sciences, Physics and Mathematics will be submitted to the Science domain.
Applications will be assessed within the domain. Applicants will use discipline codes to indicate in which discipline(s) their application fits best. Based on the discipline codes NWO will allocate the applications to clusters for the interview selection. Depending on the number of applications per discipline, these clusters can be composed more broadly or specific. In other words several related or overarching disciplines can be brought together in a single cluster, or disciplines can be divided among the clusters.
For all interview selection clusters, the Science domain will select committee members on the basis of disciplines. The committee members will assess the applications, referee reports and rebuttals and select the most promising applications for an interview.
Interviews will take place in three broad interview clusters, which have different focus areas based on the discipline codes the applicants have indicated.; Candidates will therefore be interviewed and assessed by committee members from their own discipline and other disciplines in the Science domain within their interview cluster.
A domain-wide assessment committee will reach a single final ranking of the proposals based on the interview cluster rankings that have been independently established. In the final ranking the order of the proposals in the cluster rankings remains intact. The domain-wide assessment committee will consist of representatives from the cluster committees. Besides these representatives, other experts can also be members of the domain-wide assessment committee.
Grants will be awarded to the Vidi candidates with the highest ranking within the Science domain, independent of the discipline.
The assessment criteria are:
- Quality and innovative character of the proposed research
- Scientific and/or societal impact (knowledge utilisation)
- Quality of the researcher
Each NWO domain has a broadly composed committee of scientists that advises the accredited board within NWO about the quality and relevance of proposals.
All proposals must be submitted via NWO's electronic application system ISAAC. This does not apply to proposals for the Medical Sciences. These should be submitted to the Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development via https://mijn.zonmw.nl. Via this page you apply to the Science Domain (ENW).
Aspasia is a grant linked to the Vidi competition. The following are eligible for Aspasia:
- female researchers who have been awarded a grant under the Vidi scheme
- female researchers who met the criteria for Vidi after the interview selection, but did not receive a grant due to a funding shortfall.
The Aspasia grant is awarded to Dutch university executive boards that promote these candidates to the position of assistant or full professor within a year after the decisions in the Vidi round.
You will find all of the documents that you need for your application here. Applications must be submitted through the ISAAC application and reporting system. If you do not have an ISAAC account yet, then please create one at least one workday in advance. More information about writing a proposal and which forms you need to use can be found below. Please download and use the forms below.
Fill in forms
The forms for the Vidi grant application and the embedding guarantee for the call of 2021 will be available on the programme website two months before the submission deadline.
- Download the application and embedding guarantee forms
- Complete the application form
- After the discussion with the host institution complete the embedding guarantee form with the signature of the dean and make a scan of the document.
- Complete your ISAAC/MijnZonMw account with the actual contact details (phone numbers and mail address)
- Save the forms as a pdf files and upload them separately in ISAAC (www.isaac.nwo.nl) or in MijnZonMw (https://mijn.zonmw.nl) for the Medical Sciences (ZonMw).
Vidi grant applications must be written in English and must include:
- an outline of the research proposal including a motivation for the choice of the institution (max. 4,000 words, not including references)
- a completed knowledge utilisation section (max. 1,000 words)
- a completed datamanagement paragraph
- a budget estimate
- A narrative CV of the applicant consisting of a narrative academic profile ( max 1000 words) and a key output (no more than 10 items) *
The Vidi embedding guarantee must be completed and signed by the dean of the institution in which the research will be conducted and must be uploaded via ISAAC at the same time as the application.