Diversity and inclusion are important for the quality of science and the impact of science on society. In the Netherlands, the percentage of women working in (natural) sciences is low. This percentage is even lower in more senior positions: only 16% of professors in (natural) science disciplines is female (source: LNVH Monitor Vrouwelijke Hoogleraren 2019).
Through the Athena Award, the NWO Domain Science wants to place female role models working in (natural) scientific disciplines in the spotlight. Role models are important for female researchers who are starting their careers. These role models demonstrate that a career in science is possible.
Who can submit a nomination?
Anyone can submit one or more nominations. However, it is not possible to nominate yourself for the Athena Award.
What could the nominees win?
The Athena Award is a sum of 50k. Recipients have ample freedom when it comes to spending this sum, as long as it is used to contribute to the research of the laureate.
When can nominations be submitted?
The deadline for nominations closed on 30 June 2020.
How can nominations be submitted?
The nomination must include the following sections:
- The cover page, which can be downloaded under ‘Related documents’.
- The nomination itself, the nominator must comply with the assessment criteria mentioned in the brochure.
- Supporting documentation, such as short narrative CVs of the nominees containing information relevant to the award and any supporting letters from third parties. Please do not exceed 5 pages for the supporting documentation.
The nominations must be written in English. See the brochure for more information.
Applications are assessed according to the following criteria:
- The nominee is an example / source of inspiration for young researchers who aspire to a career in science;
- The nominee stands out through her scientific achievements. The emphasis is on the quality of the research, but other aspects are also considered, such as the impact of the research, leadership, teaching skills and outreach and/or science communication.
The nominations are assessed in relation to the criteria by a committee. The Board of NWO Domain Science will make the decision regarding the winners. More details are given in the brochure.