Applied and Engineering Sciences
The NWO Domain Applied and Engineering Sciences (TTW) connects people and resources to develop technology with added economic value that contributes to solving societal issues. This is realised through the funding of excellent applied and engineering sciences research, by bringing users and researchers together, and by supervising projects towards optimal opportunities for knowledge transfer. Various funding instruments are available to achieve this.
Within now, the TTW Domain realises the funding of research via four strategic lines:
- Public-Private Partnership, such as the Perspectief programme and the Partnership programme
- Curiosity-driven research, via the Open Technology Programme
- Research Talent via Rubicon, the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme (Veni, Vidi, Vici) and the TTW Simon Stevin Meester
- Strategic programming (including the Top Sectors and the Dutch National Research Agenda - NWA)
Applying for funding
It is currently possible to apply for funding via the open calls of the TTW Domain. The TTW Domain Board will take decisions regarding this subject.
TTW has a Domain Board that is responsible for developing the policy. The Domain Board takes decisions about the awarding of funds. The members are directors of knowledge intensive companies and professors in the domain of the applied and engineering sciences with a leadership position at Dutch universities or research institutes. The presidentis a member of the NWO-wide Executive Board. This Board is a collegial board. The members jointly represent the entire scope of science.
The members of the TTW Domain Board are:
- Prof. dr. ir. J.C. Jaap Schouten (Eindhoven University of Technology), president, also member of the Executive Board
- Prof. A.F.W. (Ton) van der Steen (Erasmus MC)
- Prof. I.W.C.E. (Isabel) Arends (Delft University of Technology), vice president
- A.H. (Anton) Schaaf (Océ Technologies BV)
- Dr. M.J. (Margrethe) Jonkman (FrieslandCampina)
The office of the TTW Domain realises the established policy and prepares new policy to support the Domain Board. The office is the first point of contact for researchers and connects the scientific field with NWO. It deals with funding applications, manages programmes, encourages valorisation at project and programme level and provides office support for the public-private innovation programmes. The director of the TTW office is Dr. ir. Herry Nijhuis.
The NWO Domain Applied and Engineering Sciences has been operational since 1 January 2017 and is a continuation of Technology Foundation STW.