Graduate Research Opportunities Worldwide (GROW)
The best PhD students from NSF's Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) can do 3 to 12 months of research abroad thanks to Graduate Research Opportunities Worldwide (GROW).
GROW is a collaboration between the National Science Foundation (NSF) in the United States and 17 partner countries.
Within the Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) excellent American PhD students ensure a permanent influx of outstanding scientific personnel. About 6700 GRFP PhD students are eligible for a secondment to a Dutch university or research institute.
GROW aims to promote knowledge exchange and strengthen the relationship between Dutch researchers and their highly promising American counterparts.
PhD students from the GRFP must submit their applications to the NSF. NWO and the host institute make a contribution towards the living expenses.
With an annual budget of more than 7 billion dollars the NSF is the largest science-funding agency in America.
Within GROW, NSF collaborates with selected countries: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, India, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden and Switzerland.
Participating organisations in the Netherlands
The following Dutch organisations participate in GROW:
- ASTRON Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy
- Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI)
- FOM Institute AMOLF Institute of the Foundation for Fundamental Research on the Matter
- FOM Institute DIFFER Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research
- FOM Institute Nikhef National Institute for Subatomic Physics
- NIOZ Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
- NSCR Netherlands Institute for the Study of Crime and Law Enforcement
- SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research
- KNAW institutes (CBS, DANS, Fryske Akademy, Hubrecht Institute, Huygens ING, IISG, KITLV, Meertens Institute, Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, NIDI, NIOD, NIOO)
- Delft University of Technology
- Eindhoven University of Technology
- Leiden University
- Maastricht University
- Radboud University Nijmegen
- Tilburg University
- University of Amsterdam
- University of Groningen
- University of Twente
- VU University Amsterdam
- Wageningen University