Social Sciences and Humanities
The NWO Domain Social Sciences and Humanities encourages excellent research in the research areas of the social sciences and the humanities. Various funding instruments are available to this end. The results from this research benefit science, as well as societal organisations, the cultural sector and industry.
Within NWO, the Social Science and Humanities Domain funds research in accordance with five strategic lines:
- Talent via the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme (Veni, Vidi, Vici), Rubicon and NWO Spinoza Prize
- Curiosity-driven research
- Strategic programming, both national and international (including the Top Sectors and the Dutch National Research Agenda)
Applying for funding
Funding can now be applied for via the open calls of the following scientific fields (former NWO units):
The SSH Domain Board is responsible for funding decisions.
SSH has a Domain Board that is responsible for developing the policy. The Domain Board takes decisions about the awarding of funds. Members are pre-eminent professors in the domain of the social sciences or humanities at Dutch universities or research institutes. The chair is a member of the NWO-wide Executive Board. This Board is a collegial board. The members jointly represent the entire scope of science.
The members of the SSH Domain Board are:
- Prof. Wim van den Doel (Leiden University), president, also member of the Executive Board
- Prof. Paula Fikkert (Radboud University)
- Prof. Anthonie Meijers (Eindhoven University of Technology)
- Prof. Ale Smidts (Erasmus University Rotterdam)
- Prof. Hans de Bruijn (Delft University of Technology)
- Prof. Chantal Kemner (Utrecht University)
- Prof. Pearl Dykstra (Erasmus University Rotterdam)
- Prof. Ben Peperkamp (VU University Amsterdam)
- Prof. Job Cohen, societal board member
The office of the SSH Domain realises the established policy and prepares new policy to support the Domain Board. It deals with funding applications, manages programmes and projects, and supports NWO steering groups and committees in the realisation of their tasks. The director of the SSH office is Dr Dirk-Jan den Boer.
The NWO Domain Social Sciences and Humanities has been operational since 1 January 2017.