NWO Physics (NWO-N) focuses on high-quality physics research at Dutch universities and research institutes.
NWO Physics manages the NWO-wide funding instruments for individual researchers such as the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme, Rubicon, the NWO Spinoza Prize and Gravitation.
Requesting a grant for physics research?
NWO has various funding instruments for physics research. Until recently, a part of this was allocated by the Foundation FOM. As of 1 January 2017, FOM has become part of the NWO Domain Science. Please find an overview of all the NWO instruments here. Each instrument has specific objectives and its own application, assessment and selection procedure.
- Industrial Partnership Programmes for collaboration with a company.
- The NWO Physics Projectruimte for small-scale projects with an innovative character (information about the current rounds and proposals awarded funding).
- Under Other grants you can find information about other grants, as well as funding possibilities at the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), the European Union and other bodies outside of FOM.
- The NWO Physics/f Programme has two funding instruments for female physicists.
- Funding for the organisation of events can also be requested for activities such as congresses, symposia, workshops, study trips and exhibitions.
Funding instruments in the new NWO
On 1 January 2017, NWO has acquired a new organisation structure. Current funding instruments will remain unchanged until a decision about any changes is taken. 2017 will be a transition year and the new funding instruments will be in place no later than 1 January 2018. From 1 January 2017 onwards, calls will be published by the new NWO domains and the domain boards will take decisions about the awarding of grants. Changes to the funding instruments of NWO will be announced well in advance. Please check the NWO website regularly!
FOM & NWO
The NWO division Physics was formed on 1 September 2003 due to the need for a strengthened collaboration between NWO and the Foundation for Fundamental Research on Matter (FOM). As part of the NWO transition the FOM Foundation will be split with effect from 1 January 2017: a part (granting) will be integrated in the Exact and Natural Sciences (ENS) domain and the part that supports institutes and university workgroups will be transformed into the NWO institutes organisation (NWO-I). The NWO institutes CWI, NSCR, NIOZ, ASTRON and SRON will merge with that institute organisation with effect from 1 January 2018.